SUSAN G KOMEN KENTUCKY
207 N. Upper Street
Suite D
Lexington KY 40507
Contact Information
Nonprofit SUSAN G KOMEN KENTUCKY
Address 207 N. Upper Street
Suite D
Lexington, KY 40507
Phone (859) 368-7133
Fax 859 363-7313
Contact Name Ally Buchanan
At A Glance
IRS Ruling Year 1992
Other ways to donate, support, or volunteer

You may be a runner, a volunteer or an activist. However you choose to get involved, just know that everything you do makes a difference. After all, without the support of people like you, the 10 million people who will be diagnosed with breast cancer in the next 25 years could die.  These are our mothers, sisters, and friends who face breast cancer diagnoses every day. Susan G. Komen for the Cure® strives to raise funds and awareness  through events and legislative actions. Breast cancer is still  claiming far too many of our loved ones’ lives.

Our volunteers come in all sizes, shapes and colors, but their hearts are pink and their caring has no limit. Are you a leader, a thinker or a doer? Use your talents in our promise to save lives and end breast cancer forever!  We need you now more than ever. Volunteers provide countless hours contributing their skills to further the Susan G. Komen for the Cure® promise. We will work with your availability.  Every minute you spend helping gives another minute of hope to those affected by breast cancer.

Program areas include:

  • Development/Special Events
  • Community Programs Advocacy
  • Administrative
Other Documents
Financial Summary
 
 
Statements
Mission Statement

Susan G. Komen's promise is to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all, and energizing science to find the cures. Komen Kentucky is a local non-profit organization dedicated to combating breast cancer in which up to 75% of the organization’s net proceeds fund programs and grants to local hospitals and community organizations that provide screenings, diagnostics, treatment support, education and survivorship programs for underserved women and men in Kentucky and Southern Indiana. The remaining 25% of the proceeds fund Susan G. Komen's global research program.

 

 

Background Statement
Lexington Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure was formed in 1996 by a group of dedicated community volunteers committed to raising funds to increase breast cancer awareness and help in the fight to eradicate breast cancer.  On April 20, 1996, the first Susan G. Komen  Race for the Cure was held in Lexington at the Kentucky Horse Park.  The group became an Affiliate in 2000 and held their first Pink Tie Gala fundraiser in 2002.  Komen Lexington has raised millions of dollars for programs in central, south and eastern Kentucky counties.  75% of the dollars raised remain within the Affiliate service area through grant funding and education programs; the remaining 25% funds breast cancer research through Komen national headquarters.
 
 In April of 2016 Komen Lexington merged with Komen Louisville to form Komen Kentucky. The Komen Kentucky affiliate now covers 111 counties across the state of Kentucky and Indiana.
Impact Statement Susan G. Komen Kentucky has:
  • Funded more than $3.7 million in research since 1999 that has led to more early detection and effective treatments, resulting in a 34 percent decline in breast cancer mortality in the U.S. since 1990.
  • Improved the 5-year survival rate for women diagnosed with early stage breast cancer from 74 percent in 1980 to 99 percent today.
  • Invested over $10.7 million into local services and programs to assist with screenings, treatments, education, and psycho-social support programs for thousands of people.

 
 
 
CEO/Executive Director Statement Komen Kentucky’s biggest challenge is getting people to realize that although we have a large recognized name that we are local and for people to realize when they donate to Komen to realize whether they are donating locally or to the Komen Headquarters.  If they get a solicitation or email to look at it and see if it says Komen Kentucky on it.  The reason that is so important is because 75% of the net funds raised by our affiliate stay local to help with screening, treatment, education, patient navigation and support services the remaining 25% is then sent to Headquarters to only support the research fund no overhead.  We are a small staff of 7 trying to support the our 111 counties in  Kentucky and Indiana.  
Service Categories
Secondary Organization Category Health Care / Health Support
Tertiary Organization Category Public & Societal Benefit / Fund Raising & Fund Distribution
Geographic Areas Served
Areas
Kentucky
Impact Questions
GoalsHelpWhat is the organization aiming to accomplish? This is the organization's ultimate goal for intended impact. Susan G. Komen's goal is to reduce the current number of breast cancer deaths by 50% in the United States within the next decade.
Board Chair
Board Chair Bob Lezzi
Term 0 to 2014
Board Members
NameAffiliationStatus
Frank Buster Communitty Volunteer
Karen Casi Comm
Karen Casi Communitty Volunteer
Morgan Daulton Dean Dorton Allen Ford
Morgan Dezarn Communitty Volunteer
Alexis Kasacavage Communitty Volunteer
Graig Larue Communitty Volunteer
Vivian Lasely-Bibbs Communitty Volunteer
Art McLaughlin Communitty VolunteerVoting
Carrie Merrill Communitty Volunteer
Carrie Merrill Communitty Volunteer
Bobbie Neiahaus Communitty Volunteer
Amy Pehike Communitty Volunteer
Kelley Schenck Communitty Volunteer
Kelly Spencer Communitty Volunteer
Cindy Taylor Communitty Volunteer
Gerina Whethers Communitty Volunteer
Patrick Williams M.DCommunitty Volunteer
Board Demographics - Ethnicity
African American/Black 1
Asian American/Pacific Islander 0
Caucasian 11
Hispanic/Latino 1
Native American/American Indian 0
Other 0 0
Board Demographics - Gender
Male 4
Female 9
Unspecified 0
Governance
Board Term Lengths 2
Board Term Limits 3
Board Meeting Attendance % 100%
Written Board Selection Criteria? Under Development
Written Conflict of Interest Policy? Under Development
Percentage Making Monetary Contributions 100%
Number of Full Board Meetings Annually 6
Board Co-Chair
Board CoChair Kelly Spencer
Term 0 to 2013
CEO/Executive Director
Executive Director Lynda Weeks
Term Start Apr 2015
Email lweeks@komenkentucky.org
Staff
Full Time Staff 6
Part Time Staff 1
Volunteers 300
Contractors 0
Retention Rate 67%
Management Reports to Board? Yes
Staff Demographics - Ethnicity
African American/Black 0
Asian American/Pacific Islander 1
Caucasian 6
Hispanic/Latino 0
Native American/American Indian 0
Other 0 0
Staff Demographics - Gender
Male 0
Female 7
Unspecified 0
Senior Staff
Title Missions Director
Formal Evaluations
CEO Formal Evaluation Yes
CEO/Executive Formal Evaluation Frequency Annually
Senior Management Formal Evaluation N/A
Senior Management Formal Evaluation Frequency Annually
NonManagement Formal Evaluation Yes
Non Management Formal Evaluation Frequency Annually
Description Susan G. Komen Lexington offers grant opportunities for organizations within the 111 county service area in Kentucky.  Organizations chosen provide crucial services to the people of the Commonwealth including breast health education, screening, diagnosis, treatment and many other types of supportive care for those whose lives have been touched by breast cancer.  
Budget 300,000.00
Category Diseases, Disorders & Medical Disciplines, General/Other Cancer
Population Served At-Risk Populations, Minorities,
Program Short Term Success

In 2011 Komen Lexington granted out over $360,000 of assistance to help reduce the mortality rates of breast cancer in Kentucky.  The agencies that received our funding were the Kentucky Pink Connection who provides patient navigation services, King’s Daughters Medical Center, Our Lady of Bellefonte Hospital, St. Joseph Breast Center, Lexington Fayette County Health Department, St. Elizabeth Medical Center, North Central Area Health Education Center, American Cancer Society Hope Lodge, St. Claire Regional Medical Center, Madison County Health Department, St. Joseph Martin, Pattie A. Clay Regional Medical Center and Marcum and Wallace Irvine.

 
Program Long term Success Since the Affiliate’s inception in 1996 Komen Lexington has funded over $1.5 million for local programs, funding potential lifesaving services for the underserved and the uninsured men and women of Kentucky.  We plan on providing over $400,000 of local grants to the community in 2013 and hopefully continue to increase those numbers from there until a cure is found.  We are proud to say that 75% of our net funds are kept local to fund grant programs to save lives in Kentucky and then the remaining 25% is invested into research to find the cures. More information about our global research grants can be found at www.komen.org
Description Colors of Promise is a community-driven group associated with Susan G. Komen Kentucky aimed at increasing awareness and prevention of breast cancer among women of color in Kentucky. Color of Promise educates the African American community and partners with local health institutions to provide breast cancer prevention and care to women.
Category Diseases, Disorders & Medical Disciplines, General/Other Cancer
Population Served Blacks, African Heritage, ,
Program Long term Success Colors of Promise's biggest education and awareness event is Pink the Pews, in which the Colors of Promise ambassadors pink out local churches to bring awareness to breast cancer and the Colors of Promise group. On average, Pink the Pews reaches over 5,000 people over a span of two days and the lists of church partners grows every year!
Description

Lazos Que Unen is a community- driven group associated with Susan G. Komen Kentucky aimed at increasing awareness and prevention of breast cancer among women in the Latin community. Lazos Que Unen educates the Latin community and partners with local health institutions to provide breast cancer prevention and care to women.

Category Diseases, Disorders & Medical Disciplines, General/Other Cancer
Population Served , Hispanic, Latino Heritage,
Plans & Policies
Organization has a Fundraising Plan? Under Development
Organization has a Strategic Plan? Under Development
Management Succession Plan? Under Development
Organization Policy and Procedures Yes
Nondiscrimination Policy Yes
Whistleblower Policy Yes
Document Destruction Policy Yes
Fiscal Year
Fiscal Year Start Apr 01, 2016
Fiscal Year End Mar 31, 2017
Projected Revenue $488,029.00
Projected Expenses $609,137.00
Detailed Financials
Expense Allocation
Fiscal Year201520142013
Program Expense$747,161----
Administration Expense$127,623----
Fundraising Expense$46,014----
Payments to Affiliates------
Total Revenue/Total Expenses0.97----
Program Expense/Total Expenses81%----
Fundraising Expense/Contributed Revenue5%----
Assets and Liabilities
Fiscal Year201520142013
Total Assets$732,145----
Current Assets$714,188----
Long-Term Liabilities$15,190----
Current Liabilities$528,759----
Total Net Assets$188,196----
Capital Campaign
Currently in a Capital Campaign? No
State Registration Yes
Comments
CEO Comments As of April 2016, Susan G. Komen Lexington has merged with Susan G. Komen Louisville, to form Komen Kentucky. The 2016 above 990 is the Lexington Affiliate before the merger.
Address 207 N. Upper Street
Suite D
Lexington, KY 40507
Primary Phone 859 368-7133
CEO/Executive Director Lynda Weeks
Board Chair Bob Lezzi